Frederick Charrington


Family Links

Louisa Elizabeth Griffiths

Frederick Charrington

  • Born: 1817, Stepney, London
  • Marriage: Louisa Elizabeth Griffiths on 19 Apr 1849 in St Mary's, Stratford Bow, London
  • Died: 1873, Wandsworth, London aged 56


Wedding details from Wendy; 19 April 1849 St Mary Stratford Bow, Frederick Charrington, Brewer of Stepney to Laura Elizabeth Griffiths of Bow. Fathers: Nicholas Charrington, Brewer, John Griffiths, Gentleman. Witnesses Oliver Hargreave, John Stock, Margaret Nicholson(?) Fairhead.

1851 Census; Living as head (aged 34) at 56 St Peter's Road ('Frederick Charrington House'), Mile End, London with wife, son, mother in law and 4 servants. Occupation; Master Brewer employing 101 hands. PoB Stepney.

1861; Can't find.

1871 Census; Living as head (aged 54) at 'Fernside'(?), Princes Road, Wandsworth, London with wife, 3 sons, dau and 7 servants (inc Groom, Footman and Gardener). Occupation; Brewer. PoB Stepney.

Presum died before 1881 as Frederick jnr is in Fernside with siblings as head.

Charrington United Breweries Ltd was an English brewery company founded in 1738 which merged with Bass in 1967. The Brewery operated at the Anchor Brewery, Mile End and started in 1738 as Wastfield & Moss, becoming Charrington & Moss in 1766. In 1872 the company established a presence at Burton on Trent , buying the Lewis Meakin brewery there and brewing at the Abbey Brewery until 1926 when it was sold.
The company was registered in July 1897 as Charrington & Co, and merged with Bass, Mitchell & Butlers in 1967 to form Bass Charrington Ltd. The Anchor Brewery ceased production in January 1975 and the brewery buildings have been demolished. Bottling and warehousing facilities were also housed in a former distillery at Three Mills, in Bromley-by-Bow . Today, the site at Three Mills is used as offices serving a film studio complex, and the main Anchor Brewery site has been redeveloped as housing, offices and a shopping centre.

In 1757, Westfield and Moss shifted their brewery from Bethnal Green. The new site was much more handy for the farm carts bringing in barley and hops from Essex and Kent. Nine years later, John Charrington bought a third of the company, taking over completely in 1783. Charrington was an all-powerful figure in London brewing at this time, being Master of the Brewers’ Company in 1785. The firm stayed in the family, passing down through his son Nicholas, then grandsons Charles and Frederick. The Charringtons were nothing if not traditionalists. Though they installed a revolutionary new steam engine in 1828, they didn’t use electricity until 1927. And until 1946, the old dray horses could still be seen hauling wagons, laden with kegs, to pubs around the East End. In 1967, Charrington amalgamated to become Bass Charrington, and the brewery shut for business in 1975.

Frederick married Louisa Elizabeth Griffiths, daughter of John Griffiths and Louisa Huxley, on 19 Apr 1849 in St Mary's, Stratford Bow, London. (Louisa Elizabeth Griffiths was born on 5 Apr 1822 in Stepney, London, christened on 9 May 1822 in St Dunstan's, Stepney, London and died Q2 1881 in Wandsworth, London.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 5 Jun 2022 with Legacy 8.0 from Millennia